I love this story. I hadn’t seen it before and it immediately struck me as a great encouragement to teachers. How do we manage the “little” moments that present themselves. It struck me that;
- The teacher has this conversation “after class”.
- The teacher asks Vashti to “own” her work by signing it.
- The work is privileged for what the student is able to achieve “at the moment”.
- Vashti mis-reads the teacher’s cues … is this from her experience with other teachers (e.g. Vashti’s reaction to “Polar bear in snow storm).
- Vashti’s teacher invested in her “after class” – by framing the first picture.
- Vashti had resources at her disposal to “explore” (her “never before opened paint box”)
- Reflection is CRUCIAL to the next step of learning … AND teaching.
- Most of Vashti’s learning happens without the teacher; her teacher is merely the CATALYST.
- This teacher only has Vashti once a week. 🙂
- The school “Art Show” … an opportunity for an authentic AUDIENCE.
- Vashti honours her experience (and her teacher) by mentoring another.